The PS5 can be extended with a lightning fast M.2-SSD . Then she will suddenly get much more storage space, which can also keep up with the speed that offers the internal SSD.
With the latest firmware update of the PS5, it is finally in the hot phase: Sony has finally finished the beta for the new firmware and provided the update for all. Thus, everyone can finally use the PS5 memory expansion slot. How To Install the SSD and what you need to pay attention to, you will learn in the following article.
Important: You need correct SSD for your PS5
This is really important: you have to pay close attention to buying the right SSD, if you want to install them and then want to use fully. A slow SSD brings you nothing, just like one who does not fit into the PS5 or one that is completely unsuitable.
Which SSDs are supported by the PS5? You need a PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVME SSD . That sounds more complicated than it is. Important are mainly the form factor M.2 (no SATA!) And that it is a SSD of the fourth generation.
Everything below is not fast enough. A Propos: Sony recommends a SSD with at least 5,500 MB / s or 5.5 GB / s and yes, firstly very fast and also extremely expensive.
You also need a heatsink
The SSD must have its own cooling solution, a so-called heatsink. Many SSDs are already delivered with some but not. That’s why you urgently have to pay attention.
In case of doubt, you can also buy the heatsink individually and retrofit themselves. Of course, the thing makes the matter more complicated again, because you must pay close attention to the shape and size.
The most important corner data that you must pay attention to the SSD:
Interface : PCIE GEN4 M.2 NVME SSD
Size: 250 GB to 4 TB
Read speed: At least 5,500 MB / s
Form factor: The PS5 supports only M.2 types 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110. The first two digits are widely used, others for the length. This is extremely important because otherwise the SSD does not fit into the PS5.
Socket Type: Socket 3 (Key M)
Height: Total at most 11.25mm. The amount of SSD also plays an important role, especially in combination with an extra heatsink.
All currently compatible SSDs for your PS5 can be found here :
more on the subject
Expand PS5 memory: compatible SSDs, heatsinks and all requirements
Sony does not guarantee: You really have to make sure that the shape and size fits. Read the specifications of the hard drives exactly and looks absolutely as well as you are when a heatsink is there. If not, ensures that your additional heatsink fits and will not be higher than 11.25 millimeters with the SSD and the space below.
PS5 storage space with M.2 SSD Expand: This is how the installation works
You still need: Sony recommends making the installation of the SSD in the PS5 in a well-lit room on a table with plenty of space. You need a 1 Phillips- or Phillips screwdriver and ideally a small flashlight.
Bonus tips from the PC-own construction world: A non-conductive base can also not hurt. It is best to meet for safety’s sake again by packing with an unpainted heating tube.
How to build the SSD:
- Checks if you have the latest system version installed. (This goes in the settings via the item System , then System Software and there in the console information .
- Press and hold the power button for your PS5 for at least three seconds to turn off the console. Removes all cables and wait until the PS5 has cooled down.
- Places the console on a flat, straight surface, best on a soft cloth (or equal to an antistatic mat) and removes the stand.
- Positions the console so that the stand-based screw hole points to you, the Power button is on your left side and shows the PS logo down.
- Use your hands on the top the edge and pulls the cover gently up and down to the corners. Then a click should be heard.
- Place the cover aside and removes the screw from the cover that lies above the expansion slot.
- Turns the screw and spacer out and adjusts the spacer to the size of your SSD.
- Holds the SSD at your side edges and gently inserts them from obliquely up to the planned slot until the connectors are entirely in it.
Make sure everything fits, the SSD is used correctly and is completely in it. If not, you could damage the SSD and the PS5 if you pass on.
- Carefully pushes down the SSD and screw it tight.
- Resets the cover to the expansion slot and screws it firmly.
- Reconnects the side cover by applying it to about 2 cm away from the top edge and then pushes back on the spot. It should click if you are firmly seated again.
- Connects the PS5 to the current and all other cables, brings the stand, sets it and turns it on. Then a guide should emerge to format your new SSD. Follow the instructions on the screen, formatted the SSD and then it can be used.
If your visual help is needed, then looks here in the official tutorial video (video only in English):
This is relatively complicated for laymen and requires a lot of fingertips. But as soon as you have found the right SSD, the whole thing is quite feasible. At least I can tell for my part from the PC construction that the installation of a M.2-SSD is actually quite simple and easy to do if you have the matching screws as well as spacers and everything fits as well as the size and shape it should. But of course you still have to be careful.
Have you already purchased an SSD for the PS5 and if so, which? Do you dare the installation?